Hey lady, I want to talk about feminism today, why I’m a feminist (no I don’t hate men), and what it has to do with acne.
The feminist movement has a terrible stigma and the word pretty much repels people on principle. When people hear it they automatically think it means:
- That feminism means hating men
- That feminism means wanting women to have more rights or somehow have higher status than men in society
- That feminism won’t respect their desires to do “woman things” like wear makeup, cook, sew, or be a stay at home mom
- That feminism doesn’t seem to get it that we already have equal rights and opportunities, so what’s the big dealio
- That feminism makes you into a victim, and that isn’t empowering
Feminism is a philosophy and a movement, and like all groups of people, there are going to be extremists who preach, get it all wrong, and give everyone a bad reputation, essentially turning people away before they even understand what it’s all about. I’m sorry if you’ve ever had a bad run in with a feminist. [Read more…]